The Fenix HP10 Head Lamp is a lamp like no other. Seriously, we're not bs'ing ya here. When we first came across it we thought, for this price, there's no way it competes with a Petzl, Surefire, Coast, Black Diamond, etc. Holy crap were we wrong. Water proof to an IPX 8 standard is just the beginning....
With a 225 lumen max rating, the Fenix HP10 headlamp was almost too much at first use. We were shocked with the oompff this thing provided outside at a camp site, underneath a sink, in a dark trailer or when training to kill zombies in the deep, dark swamps of upstate NY. Lucky us, there are friggin' 7 modes of operation. This allowed us to quickly and SIMPLY dim the Fenix HP10 headlamp into 4 different modes of lighting from 7 lumens up to 225 lumens. The Fenix HP10 provides an amazing 210 hours of runtime in a 7 lumen mode. Great when you're on a super long camping or overnight trip - or when you just don't want to change batteries (who does?). A second button the head of the Fenix HP10 allows the change over to three different flashling modes. A simple strobe, the always trusty SOS mode and a warning flash. We really liked the separation of the two buttons. Too many lights nowadays have difficult to understand programming all managed through one button. Fenix knows this and said, hey, how hard is it to put two buttons on here to control two separate modes. Brilliant and simple and makes the light that much more appealing. It's little things like this that have made the Fenix HP10 our go to headlamp. Additionally, the 120 meter throw on this headlamp was enough to pick off zombie invaders with our AR's across any open fields.
Water proofing, up to the IPX-8 standard has also been a big plus with the Fenix HP10 headlamp. No need to worry when on a long mountain bike ride in the rain and light is in your pack getting soaked, or if you choose to hang out in the shower with a headlamp. This thing is built to last in tough conditions and water is no challenge for it. Truly ready for use in extreme environments.
Another plus is the use of AA batteries instead of CR123's. Too many times we've been on a camping trip, out caving, on an overnight, etc and NO ONE brought any CR batteries! No worries, the Fenix HP10 takes AA batteries available at everyone's favorite convenience stores, big box stores, super markets, wherever! You're never going to be caught in a bind when you run out of fuel. We consider this to be a big selling point. The super powerful, but also EPA friendly (haha) Cree XR-E LED(Q5) does NOT gobble up the juice quickly. It's very very efficient and runtime for a weekend trip is no issue on one pack of batteries.
Last, but not least, the Fenix HP10 headlamp is comfortable. Aircraft grade aluminum, quality plastic, high end engineering, bla bla bla. We've heard it all before. Just put it on your damn head and see if it fits. Let us tell you, this thing fits and is super adjustable too. So if you have an elephant man like head or your out of this world intelligence (which has resulted in a skull so large it has a gravitational pull) has blessed you with a strangely shaped cranium, no worries....the Fenix HP10 fits any head and does so comfortably.
From the Manufacturer
Cree XR-E LED (Q5) with lifespan of 50,000 hours
• 4 lighting levels, 3 flashing modes
--Lighting mode: 7 lumens (210hrs) -> 50 lumens (22hrs) -> 120 lumens (7.5hrs) -> 225 lumens (Max 2.5hrs)
--Flashing mode: Strobe (5 hrs) -> SOS (50 hrs) -> Warning Flash (44 hrs)
• Max lighting distance: 120 meters
• Dual switch system with easy operation - one for Lighting on/off, the other for output adjusting.
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Output automatic memory function
• Overheat protecting system,the lamp goes back to the high output after 3 minutes continuous lighting in Turbo mode.
• Uses four 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) batteries, inexpensive and widely available
• Separated type structure to balance the weight for comfortable wearing
Battery pack: 84mm(Length)*64mm(Width)*21mm(Height)
• Lighting head is made of aircraft-grade aluminum, the rest part is made of high quality plastic
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Light body: 40g, Battery pack: 77g (excluding batteries)
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (Submarine to 2 meters deep water for 30 minutes continuous lighting)
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating