Offering an easy way to help determine if embedded materials are present behind a wall, the cordless DEWALT DCT419S1 hand held wall scanner kit features innovative sensing technologies that make it ideal for remodelers, installers, service technicians and maintenance personnel.
The DCT419 helps detect five classes of embedded materials behind wall surfaces including:
- Wood (wood stud, wood bracing etc.)
- Ferrous metal (steel stud, cast iron pipe, nail plate screws, nails etc.)
- Non-ferrous metal (copper, aluminum, de-energized electric etc.),
- Plastic (plastic electrical box, PVC, low voltage wire etc.),
- Unshielded live electric wires
The image shown on the display is a graphical representation of the embedded material type. “Ferrous Metal” could be a steel stud, black pipe or nail plate etc. “Plastic” could be any plastic item such as an electrical box, PVC pipe or low voltage wire. For best results, it is recommended to scan the wall section at several different heights as well as scan both horizontally and vertically. This will help map out the embedded materials and their locations behind the wall surface. Once the embedded materials are identified, this information can be used to deduce the actual object type.
The DCT419S1 has a sensing depth of up to 3 inches. It features a pre-scan mapping mode that eliminates the need for you to calibrate or choose between settings. The initial pass over the wall surface processes all the embedded materials behind the wall surface. When you reverse the scanning direction of the DCT419, the embedded materials detected behind the wall surface are displayed on the 3.5” color LCD screen.
A construction type selection menu is incorporated to optimize each application. For example, when using the DCT419 hand held wall scanner in Residential (wood stud) mode, the tool is sensitive enough to distinguish where metallic items – like a nail plate or drywall screw- are in the stud. Scan the same location at several heights. A location on the wood stud with a nail plate or screw will show as wood + ferrous metal. An area with just the stud will show as wood. Other construction type options include Commercial (Metal Stud) and Concrete.
Powered by DEWALT's 12-volt lithium ion battery system, the DCT419S1 can share 12-volt Max lithium ion batteries with other tools in the lineup, and this package comes with one battery, a fast charger and kitbox.
Other features include a tracking bar that counts the number of embedded materials detected in an up to 9.8-foot section of a wall surface, a battery fuel gauge and an ergonomic handle with a soft over-mold grip provides a comfortable grip.
- Scan in a straight path and at a slow, constant speed.
- Do not lift the unit off of the wall while scanning.
- Select the appropriate construction type in the menu for each application. Options include: Residential (Wood Stud), Commercial (Metal Stud) or Concrete
- To locate metal items in wood studs, such as nail plates or drywall screws, scan at several different heights while in Residential (Wood Stud) mode.
- Ensure the back surface of the wall is clear of objects. Scan both horizontal and vertical to fully map out materials behind the wall surface. This will help to deduce the objects behind the wall surface.
- If a power line is not live or shielded by metal conduit, the DCT419 may detect the metal or plastic of the wire.
- More information on best practices and special circumstances is available in the product instruction manual.